Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Unconditional Love

We've had a thread going on the www.menieres.org bulletin board about unconditional love.

It's been eye-opening to read the opinions.

Once I set my will to love, I never rescind it. Ever.

I might not live with you, I might not talk to you, I might not pay you any attention if you've hurt me or threatened me with no apology or attempt to make things right, but if I have set my will to love you, love you I shall now, henceforth, and forever.

I said this to someone who has my unconditional love:

Need blood? You can have mine. Need new lungs? You can have mine. Want a new heart? You can have mine--wait, you already have my heart...

I'm not going to put myself in the way of someone who is going to hurt me, deride me, mock and scorn me. But if I love you, I love you. Forever and ever.

Amen.

Fix it or don't. It's all the same to me. Decide if you want to be friends or not. Your decision won't have any effect on whether I love you. That has been decided.

I'll continue to pray for you, love you, and do it all in the quiet of my heart. If you seem to me to need sweet reminding, I'll remind you. But I'll say this again: I'm not going to put myself in the way of someone who is going to hurt me, deride me, mock and scorn me. And encourage others to do the same things.

Unconditional love? Or tough love? Is there a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be read by a contributor to The Carmelite's Habit before a decision will be made about publishing it. Thanks for reading!