Sunday, December 7, 2008

Critters of 2008


Last week, I finally captured a little lizardy-looking critter that had been scooting around the house. I had caught it in my hands several times but it literally slipped through my fingers back to the floor. Canning jars...second most useful thing to have around the house.

After sharing with my mother ("That thing looks like a miniature alligator!"), I released it into the wilds of the front yard. It immediately scooted onto a rock and seemed glad.

OH HECK I have no idea if it was glad or not! XD It just...seemed like it would be glad if it could.

I just hope that if I ever find myself out of my natural environment, some kind soul will capture me gently and carry me home.


Last summer in the heat of May, four days after my father died, we found this marvelous darling. My father would have called this a terrapin.

Lucky shot because he was making tracks and was gone in a flash. Yeah, a racing turtle!







We have all sorts of critters around here. Next summer, I'm going to stake out the backyard and get pics of the raccoon family that lives next door. There's a monstrous beaver the size of a small Labrador not too far from here, down the mountain. I'd love to get a pic of him or her. The City of Vestavia Hills (next to us) issued a coyote alert two years ago when they started eating peoples' pets.

I've heard migrating Canadian geese four times during the autumn. My mother sees small bears at her farm, and we've heard wild cats yowling.

Please, love the Earth and take care of its inhabitants. All of us.

2 comments:

  1. We have a lot of little tiny lizards in our front bushes, they're cute but quick!

    I found one that I presumed to be dead hanging from his tail in a spider's web. This was amazing enough, but it turns out he was alive and kicking (like crazy) so I helped detach him from the web.

    He didn't stop to thank me, I'm sure I was quite terrifying to the little guy.

    The story about coyotes in Vestavia Hills is kind of amazing. I had no idea we had them in this part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got armadillos here too.

    They drive my mom NUTS because they root around the dry leaves at her farm in Greene County (which is so far out in the woods, there's no road to her house) and set the dogs off on false alarms.

    That's something else I plan to get a pic of next summer--the armadillos.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be read by a contributor to The Carmelite's Habit before a decision will be made about publishing it. Thanks for reading!